Friday, January 18, 2013

How to update Virtual I/O Server ?

Follow the below steps to update your VIO server :

1. Shutdown the VIO clients. This would not be required in case of dual VIO setup.

2. Apply the update using the below command (you have to use the proper syntax)

# updateios

3. Reboot the Virtual I/O server

# shutdown -restart

4. Once the server comes back online, login and check the OS level

# ioslevel

5. After few weeks, you may have to commit the applied filesets

# updateios -commit


Here are the various ways of updating a Virtual I/O server

To update Virtual I/O server from a local directory :
# updateios -dev /tmp/viopack -install -accept


To update Virtual I/O servers from remote filesystem :
# mount NFS-server:/share-name /mnt
# updateios -dev /mnt -install -accept


To update Virtual I/O server from an optical drive :
# updateios -dev /dev/cd0 -install -accept


To commit all the uncommited filesets and then to update Virtual I/O server from an optical drive :
# updateios -f -dev /dev/cd0 -install -accept


Now let us look at the various uses of updateios command.

To commit  all the applied filesets :
# udpateios -commit

To clean up after an interrupted installation :
# updateios -cleanup

To reject all the applied (uncommited) filesets :
# updateios -reject

To remove a fileststem from Virtual I/O server :
# updateios -remove fileset-name

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"-reject" option doesn't exist! At least on versiĆ³n 2.3.52
Regards
Jose DC